Ever fancied working in an extraordinary location in the Netherlands?
Vessel 11 is a multifaceted, young and fast growing business on board an old British lightship permanently docked in the heart of buzzing Rotterdam, the Netherlands. Our concept is a charming British gastropub, live music and events venue with a relaxed, youthful living room atmosphere.
In addition to the daily restaurant and bar, we programme live music on a weekly basis and organise many public events; from vintage markets to festivals. Vessel 11 also hosts a wide range of private events; from birthday parties to business dinners and weddings. We also have the luxurious and extremely quirky “Hottug”, (a hot tub that is a boat) which we rent out throughout the year.
The boat is large, with 3 separate rooms inside and a further two large terraces outside on the deck plus a third on the land beside the boat. Overall we have a capacity of 180 covers. The boat is flexible and often has a number of different events running at the same time as the restaurant.
Our restaurant à la carte menu is seasonal and changes several times a year. For the private events, we have a snack/canapé selection and a walking dinner menu comprising of 5 bowl-sized courses. During the summer season, we also have a barbeque menu available for groups. As far as possible we use local & sustainably produced products.
Vessel 11 uses a fully integrated management software system called Nostradamus. All sales, buying in of food and drink and staff scheduling/time registration are integrated into this online system, enabling a real-time & historical picture of turnover, staffing margins, sales margins and productivity. The kitchen team are responsible for ensuring all the data relating to food in Nostradamus is kept up to date. Vessel 11 managers, including kitchen managers, use Nostradamus on a daily basis as a means of maximising efficiency and ensuring tight margins.
The V11 kitchen team is a dynamic and creative environment in which to work and is characterised by a cooperative and positive ambience. V11’s management structure is flat which gives team members the space to develop their skills and fulfil their ambitions. The work in the kitchen is varied and fast pace.
We have two team leaders in the kitchen. The responsibilities of staffing, costing, buying & menu design are split between them – this division is made on the basis of their respective strengths and fields of interest and will be clearly set out in a job description. Both team leaders are able to deputise for each other, both support each other in delivering their tasks and both are responsible for managing the kitchen crew and delivering a first-rate service.
- Team leader and hot-side cook position – the equivalent of a K.5 in the KHN staffing framework
- Full-time position (38 hours a week)
- The salary is in accordance with the Dutch CAO (Food and Beverage Labour Agreement)
- There are opportunities for growth & development within the job and team
- The position comes with accommodation if necessary
- The start date for the job is the end of June / early July 2018
- Manage the kitchen crew in such a way that delivers a fast and high-quality service & maintains a high morale within the team.
- Deliver a timely & high-quality service at all times while maintaining high levels of efficiency & productivity
- Input food data into the online management software, analyse the results and make adjustments to the dishes accordingly
- Monitor and maintain healthy labour and sales margins
- Create the restaurant and event’s menus in collaboration with the kitchen team
- Calculate the cost of all dishes & snacks
- Ensure compliance with the Netherlands Health and Safety Requirements
- Deliver a good service in a high paced environment
- Flexible and good attention to detail
- Minimum of 3 years experience as a hot-side cook
- Preferably with formal catering training
- Familiarity with using management computer software is desirable
- Recommendations to be provided
- Dutch is not necessary, English, Portuguese, Spanish and/or Italian is helpful
- BHV, SVH & leermeester certificates are welcome, but not required
To apply please send your motivation and CV to email@example.com